Saturday, October 19, 2013

Saturday afternoon surprise

I had just been thinking about calling my sister when my daughter says to me, "Mommy, Aunt is here!" What?!?! What a great surprise! I love hanging out with my sister. Our kids are at ages now where they generally play very well together, and they have fun while we get to chat. When we hang out, we help each other out. She'll unload my dishwasher or clean up the table. One time last winter when I was pregnant with baby #4, she came over, and helped clean my house, including doing vacuuming - partners in grime! She also made sure my oldest boy got a first birthday party, making the cake and everything. We share stories about kids, we share recipes, we share our latest great song (mine's Roar by Katie Perry, hers is a Britney S song), and we share joys and challenges about life in general. She is a great sister and a great friend.

We shared a room when we were young, and we used to bring snacks into our bedroom, lock the door, and have a "powwow" when we needed to chat. We would sit cross-legged on the floor, and eat our graham crackers, and share the rough times about being tweens. We used to have to chores in the barn together, and could have quite the arguments and fights. However, our grudges did not last long, and usually within a few minutes, one of us would walk over to the other side of the barn to apologize, and we would hug and all would be well again.

We have a lot in common, and a lot not in common, which I think is why we get along so well. We never shared clothes in high school, and I think that saved us from a lot of disputes as I have heard from other sisters. I admire her for her loyalty, her positive outlook, her willingness to do fun things with her kids, her great snacks, her great gift-giving ability, her picture-taking skills, and her creativity.

We are two years apart, and have gone through a lot of phases of our lives together: grade school & high school, university, marriage and kids. I feel blessed to have her in my life, and I hope that we can share many more phases of our lives together!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your blog address so I can read yours as well! :)